Newbie

I got a new camera. Well O.K. I got a new DSLR and then quickly learned that my money wasn't that well spent and I was lucky enough to upgrade with only the loss of the cost for the backup battery for the first one that won't work with the new one. I'll take that loss any day. What I ended up doing was getting a camera that I could grow and learn with. It has some dummy settings for the times I get flustered, but I'm already comfy with shooting in Aperture priority mode, so I consider that a sign of moving forward.

Unfortunately, I fall into the category of consumer that completely over analyzes everything. I am a professional Internet investigator. Like a present day Colin Laney I scrub the Internet for any last detail on anything to find any shred if information I can. Unlike work stuff, I can sometimes run into dubious territory like I did with my latest research on my new D7000. I found this wonderful site. I thought to myself, "what a goldmine". Ugh. I wish I could have that day back. At least I only spent a day.

Apparently the author of that site is a bit controversial. This article was the last one I found last night.

After thinking I'd found a goldmine of info and stupidly had the guys name tacked to every file my camera shot. I realized that I'd been had. If I wasn't so proud I'd ask my own local photography hero about these things, but as I still haven't learned, I have to reinvent the wheel with each of my endeavors and DO IT ON MY OWN. Jeez, why do I do this to myself? (Don't worry Emily, I'll still be stubborn and want to learn this joyous world in my own way, you can chuckle all you want)

I've reset my camera to factory defaults and started to slowly make my own settings. What was I thinking? Things are looking good for my new journey with my D7000.

Maybe one day I'll post some photos I've taken with this new bad boy...

Comments

  1. aww :) great post! when i started out with my first dslr i read up on a lot of photo tech forum stuff. lots of strong opinions out there amongst camera folk. i was eating it up until i started clicking links in the user signatures...links to the posters' websites, blogs, flickr accounts. i realized a lot of their work was complete shit. here are all these people professing great technical knowledge, stating their opinions as fact, building incredibly expensive fancy gear collections, really sounding like they know what they're talking about, and yet their photos are terrible. i think the most important part of learning to use a camera is trying things for yourself, letting yourself fail. remember you can't be an expert overnight, and you certainly can't do it without practice. trust me, once you have the fundamentals down, experience is WAY more important than technical knowledge.

    you don't want to be one of those people who can describe in great technical detail how to get the best bokeh from a 300mm f/4.0 prime in such and such lighting conditions, but couldn't take a proper photo of a landscape if it was already printed as a postcard. play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I sure got carried away. I don't get those gear heads. Alwyas check their photography first.

      Delete
  2. Did you know you can shorten your long links with LinkShrink and make dollars from every visit to your short urls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts