I support Robert 100%
Sunday, April 20, 2014
We put in a small raised "bed", more like a custom container for our rhododendrons. The soil here is all wrong for them and they need good drainage. So we decided to build up above the ground and fill the little bed with rhodi-friendly soil mix. We'll plant around it as well to make it better visually anchored.
Landscaping blocks are just like lumber. The measurements listed at the store don't match the actual measurements. So the box was a little bit smaller in dimension. We'll build it deeper to make up for it. Either way, I had a ton of fun laying the blocks and getting them leveled.
One day later, and done!
Monday, April 14, 2014
The fruits of our fall labor in planting 300 or so bulbs sure makes me happy each day I get home from work. We may move some of them for more spaces for other perennials and pockets of annuals. I'm thrilled with the explosion of color. One of our neighbors came over, completely mysified and asked "how did you do that?". They must not have been looking out the window last October/November. Oh, I'll bet the Halloween display threw them off...
My current favorite view is the one looking out the front door. The goal was to make it more inviting. Now we really have to get a no soliciting sign.
Saturday, April 12, 2014
We went to Edwards Nursery and got two shorter clematis plants for a container on our deck. I tried clematis before, but the exposure at our old house wasn't good. I'm hoping these guys are happy in one of the huge containers we scored last fall. All I need is a trellis and our hostas to get bigger. I wasn't sure what to pick, but we took a lot of time and some of the plantings they had as examples showed us we had to get two different types for added interest. This is what we chose
The first is "Multi-Blue" a 7'-8' pruning type 2.
We lucked out and found a few with blooms, I can't wait to watch them grow.
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Saturday, April 5, 2014
Saturday, March 29, 2014
Today was our first day of real hard work in the back yard. We have several overgrown shrubs and trees that need to be removed to keep them out of power lines and from overgrowing our fence. The second thing to go (the first was a tree that blew over the same week we moved in, so it removed itself mostly) was a huge overgrown super prickly evergreen that had a lot of dead parts and an awful vine that was choking parts of it and overtaking our fence.
Of course it was raining, but we have the two next garbage pick-ups that will take large amounts of yard cleanup waste. Otherwise, we would have several trips to the dump that would cost us money.
So we put on rain coats got loppers hand pruners and a saw and set to work. This photo is after two large wheeled bins had been filled and taken away. This bush is horrible stuff. It is very prickly and will embed right into your skin. I had to wear welders gloves because the little dead prickly's would fall into my sleeves when I was cutting the higher stuff. Wet leather gloves aren't fun. Neither are wet feet.
Hey, there is a utility box back there! I can actually walk around it for the first time. We'll chainsaw the rest down and deal with the stump then. The white trash fence OSB boards are temporary dog proofing that will come down once we have them trained on the new invisible fence. We had some escapes and a six foot tall fence wasn't enough to keep them in.
These guys are waiting to be planted along the fence between the shed and the corner that we are clearing out.