The Elusive Rooster Tail

Lucky Peak Reservoir sits just northeast of Boise. We had a humdinger of a winter with record snow. When the reservoir is full and there is still snow melt to contend for, the Army Corps of Engineers lets overflow water out through the rooster tail. The design is meant to reduce the amount of energy the massive amount of water would have on the Boise river. In all my years of living here, I had never seen it. It seems there is some confusion that the normal outlet a bit further down stream is the rooster tail. It in itself os pretty impressive, but the rooster tail brings out lots of people to check it out. 
My husband and I spent part of the day walking down to the base of the dam so I could take pictures. There are a few videos at the end.







Comments

Popular Posts